1. Express Gratitude – When you appreciate what you have, what you have appreciates in value. If we aren’t thankful for what we already have, we will have a hard time ever being happy. Adopt an “attitude of grattitude”.
2. Cultivate Optimism – People who think optimistically, see the world as a place filled with endless opportunities, especially in trying times. Challenges can be seen as opportunities for change and/or growth.
3. Avoid Overthinking and Social Comparison - Comparing yourself to someone else creates negative thoughts. The only person you should compare yourself to is yourself before now. Strive to be the best YOU can be.
4. Practice Acts of Kindness – Selflessly helping someone is a powerful way to feel good about one’s self. Wish for others that which you wish for yourself. Treat others as you would like to be treated.
5. Nurture Social Relationships – The happiest people tend to be those who have deep, meaningful relationships. It’s not the number of relationships one has, it’s the quality of the relationships.
6. Develop Strategies for Coping - It helps to have healthy strategies for coping practiced, on call, and in your “tool box” at your disposal. Old, negative, unhealthy coping mechanism need to be replaced with healthy ones in order for change to occur.
7. Learn to Forgive - Harboring negative feelings of anger and/or hatred makes a sense of well-being very difficult to achieve. Letting go of anger is empowering. Forgiveness does more for the one giving it than for the one to whom it is given.
8. Increase Flow Experiences - Flow is a state in which it feels like time stands still. It’s when you’re so focused on what you’re doing that you become “one” with the task. Practice meditation and visualization exercises when nothing is distracting you or competing for your focus.
9. Savor Life’s Joys - Deep happiness cannot exist without slowing down to enjoy the joy. Focus more on that which is positive in your life and less on that which is perceived as negative.
10. Commit to Your Goals - Surprising things happen when we commit ourselves to doing whatever it takes to get somewhere. Once committed, take the necessary steps to reach your goals, even if each step is a small one.
11. Take Care of Your Body - The mind and body are connected and therefore a healthy body is necessary for a healthy mind and emotional well-being. One of the most important elements for good health is good sleep hygiene. Be sure to get enough, good quality sleep regularly.
12. Practice Spirituality – When we practice spirituality or religion we give up the idea that we are the mightiest and most important thing that exists and recognize that life is bigger than any individual. Perspective makes a significant difference in how we experience the world, our lives and ourselves.